Welcome. Before you begin:
- You will need to create a free Submittable account, or sign in with Google or Facebook credentials in order to submit to these forms.
- You can save a draft of your work if you would like to finish filling out the form at a later date.
- We will follow-up with you about your submission by email. Please be sure to whitelist notification emails from Submittable and check the email you used to sign up for your Submittable Account regularly.
LITERARY ARTS EMERGENCY FUND GUIDELINES
- Literary arts organizations and publishers* AND
- Incorporated nonprofits with 501(c)3 status OR a fiscal agent AND
- Based in the United States, U.S. territories, or Tribal lands
*Because recent financial losses experienced by nonprofit literary arts organizations and publishers have been substantial and emergency relief is limited, libraries, museums, book arts organizations, humanities councils, centers for the book, residencies, playwriting organizations, author’s homes, and organizations devoted to championing the legacy of an individual writer are ineligible.
DEADLINE & NOTIFICATION
Applications must be submitted by Wednesday, January 5, 2022 at 11:59pm EST. Only submissions made online through Submittable will be reviewed.
All applicant organizations will be notified whether or not they received funding via Submittable by Monday, April 11, 2022.
The Literary Arts Emergency Fund will award one-time, unrestricted emergency grants from $5,000 to $50,000.
Grant amounts will be determined by the following factors: financial need and projected loss due to COVID-19; budget size; diversity, equity, and inclusion as it relates to an organization's staff and board; poets and writers contracted with; audiences served; geographic location; and an organization’s ability to continue offering programming.
This Literary Arts Emergency Fund is managed by the Academy of American Poets, Community of Literary Magazines and Presses, and National Book Foundation, which will respectively be making grants to:
- Organizations that promote poets and/or poetry;
- Publishers (literary magazines and presses);
- Literary or writers' centers, book festivals, Writers in the Schools programs, literary presenting organizations, and other literary organizations.
Decisions about the eligibility of applications as determined by the three managing organizations are final. Information collected in this application will only be publicly reported in aggregate.
The three managing organizations assume no responsibility for applications not received due to user error. Applicant organizations will receive an email confirming receipt of their application and may verify receipt of their application by logging into Submittable.
Applications will be reviewed by independent panelists who will be named on the three managing organizations’ websites. Panel ratings will form the basis for funding. Award decisions will be approved and finalized by members of the Board of Directors of the three managing organizations. At this time, the three managing organizations are unable to offer feedback to applicants on award decisions.
Please review our Frequently Asked Questions.
Please visit Submittable's Help Center regarding your Submittable account, and for technical support.
All correspondence concerning applications from poetry-focused organizations should be directed to email@example.com.
All correspondence concerning applications from publishers should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
All correspondence concerning applications from literary or writers' centers, book festivals, Writers in the Schools, and literary presenting organizations should be directed to email@example.com.